Tuesday, November 5, 2013

"The Four Seasons: Spring, Allegro" (Antonio Vivaldi)

I first heard Venetian composer/Catholic priest Antonio Vivaldi's The Four Seasons (composed 1723) as a kid.  Specifically, my first introduction to the famous--and admittedly overplayed--"The Four Seasons: Spring, Allegro" was pretty lowbrow: it was the backing music for a commercial on local TV in Western North Carolina.
To be honest, I can't remember what the commercial was for.  (Something makes me think jewelry.  Or maybe high-end furniture?  A law firm?  Electrolysis?)
Anyway, whatever product or business it was for, the backing track made me pause from building my Lego city and ask my parents, "What is that song!?"  My mother, being the eclectic music lover that she is, went right to her massive collection of 60s and 70s vinyl and dropped the needle on the exact song.  
And it was immediate joy and happiness from note one.
Which is the reason why the movement "Spring, Allegro" is so overplayed.  Vivaldi perfectly captures the feeling of new life bursting forth.  Every note paints a picture of fresh leaves and flowers springing from bare branches and the cold ground.  The solo violin sounds like birds chirping and bees buzzing.  It's 3+ minutes of fresh sunshine dissolving winter clouds.
And bunnies dammit.  Cute, fuzzy, pink-nosed bunnies.
Few other pieces of music can help you shake off the doldrums any time of year like this one can.

No comments:

Post a Comment