Saturday, November 23, 2013

"Just What I Needed" (The Cars)

I was in diapers when the eponymous debut album by The Cars dropped in 1978.  By the time I was old enough to pay attention to what was on the radio and/or on constant rotation on MTV, The Cars had shifted gears (ha ha) to their early-80s sound: aka synths galore.  In particular, I recall the ballad "Drive" playing non-stop on our local rock station in 1984.  Every teenage girl (and they were all named either Christy or Crystal back then in Western NC) would call in and request it every five minutes, dedicating it to their boyfriends (who were always named Chuck or Ricky).
Admittedly, for a ballad, "Drive" is not a bad song.  It's one of the few "soft rock" songs from the 1980s that doesn't make me want to jump off a building.  It simply was played to death.
Anyway, my neighbors in college really liked New Wave stuff, and they happened to be playing The Cars album one spring afternoon.  Through our open doors and windows, I kept hearing what I thought was Roxy Music drifting through our dorm suite, yet it didn't quite sound like Bryan Ferry.  The guitars and bits of synth sounded a bit like Tubeway Army, but the vocalist didn't sound like Gary Numan either.  
Luckily, I had the fledgling World Wide Web at my disposal, and I searched the lyrics I heard emanating from next door.  "I don't mind you coming here...and wasting all my time..."  Granted, back then the Web was mainly a hodgepodge of GeoCities sites.  And if you could find a sound clip of anything, it sounded like it had been recorded on Edison's Dictaphone and then replayed through CB radio.  After an hour of searching, I eventually discovered (via a site with a dancing baby animated GIF) that the song was The Cars' "Just What I Needed."
The punky bursts of Ric Ocasek's and Elliott Easton's staccato guitars in the intro alone would be enough to keep this song in constant rotation on my iPhone for weeks at a time.  But it's also Greg Hawkes' perfectly placed MiniKorg synth wail and bassist Benjamin Orr's icy delivery (yeah, if you assumed it was Ocasek singing--like I did for a million years--you're WRONG!) over Dave Robinson's constantly-shifting beat (sometimes on the one, sometimes on the two) that make me love this song.  A great song from a great album.



  


No comments:

Post a Comment