Wednesday, May 14, 2014

"The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" (Morrissey)

I've never really understood the religious fervor with which some people regard Morrissey.  Yeah, The Smiths were an impressive band.  He's done some solid solo work, too (more on that in a sec).  But seeing footage over the years of emotional fans at his concerts looking like religious pilgrims on their way to Lourdes, clamoring for a chance to touch his hair/hands/feet/eyebrows, always left me thinking...whuck?
And I'm not touching the whole "asexual" thing.  (Apparently, no one else is either.  Ba-dum-tss.)
But I do really enjoy the track "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" from Morrissey's 1994 album Vauxhall and I.
Lyrically, he's telling the object of his affection (obsession) that he's going to be there, grinding his way into his/her/its brain, whether he/she/it likes it or not, so resistance is futile.  While I'm sure the lyrics are meant to be very tongue in cheek, his signature crooner-ish delivery kind of makes the words even creepier and David Lynchian than if he had, say, shouted them.
The backing track provides a nice counterpoint to Morrissey's mellowness with the song's co-writer, Boz Boorer, contributing that dramatic (and kind of pissed off-sounding) lead riff.  
Producer Steve Lillywhite, whose production style I generally dislike (Do you go out of your way to make drums sound crappy, Steve?) actually does a good job here of pushing Jonny Bridgwood's bass way up in the mix so that it rumbles on the low end with as much ferocity as Boorer's piercing guitar on the high end.
Who knew stalking could be this catchy?


No comments:

Post a Comment