Saturday, May 3, 2014

"Groove Is in the Heart" (Deee-Lite)

The first time I saw the video for "Groove Is in the Heart," my brain melted like a G.I. Joe in a microwave.  Not that I ever melted a G.I. Joe in a microwave or anything...
There was Kierin Kirby (a.k.a. Lady Miss Kier), dressed up in day-glo, psychedelic relics and speaking faux-French/belting out crazy lyrics about succotash wishes and Horton Hears a Who (with a surprising amount of soul for a pale white girl) over that funky Herbie Hancock sample.
There also was Bootsy Collins playing bass and just...being Bootsy, along with Maceo Parker and Fred Wesley from The JB's on sax and trombone, seen and unseen, respectively.  
And last but not least, there was Q-Tip from A Tribe Called Quest, whose floating head delivered a trippy verse over a freaky drum break, courtesy of Billy Preston.
After the smoke ceased pouring from my ears, I spilled a little of my BoKu Juice Box on the ground to pay my last respects to the 1980s, which were officially dead, and went out and bought the cassette single that afternoon with money I'd earned mowing our lawn.
While other things from 1990 haven't aged so well (like that dusty crate of cassette singles under my bed), this funkified little dance tune out of left field somehow remains fresh.




No comments:

Post a Comment