Saturday, January 17, 2015

"Sweet Emotion" (Aerosmith)

So another single from my mother's collection is "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith (from the band's 1975 album Toys in the Attic).  
It always struck me as an odd entry in her library.  Sure, she owned some rocking stuff by The Who, Zeppelin, the Stones, etc., but she also had equal amounts of mid-70s Neil Diamond schmaltz.  That's why the "Toxic Twins" from Boston didn't strike me as her cup of tea.
So I flat out asked her once, "Why do you own this?"
Obviously ticked off that I was questioning her sense of cool, she put the record on the turntable and started commentating.  I remember her pointing out three specific things about why she liked the song:
1) It began with a catchy chorus, and it was kind of unique to begin a song with a refrain.
2) She liked Joe Perry's riff on the bridges between verses and that woooosh sound underneath it (created by mega-producer Jack Douglas running taped handclaps and a hi-hat backwards).
3) She got a kick out of Steven Tyler's funny lyrics, which she said I'd understand when I was older.
It was interesting, hearing her break down the parts of the track that way.  Up to that point, music had been a tidal wave of sound to my ears; I'd never thought about zeroing in on the individual elements of a song to articulate why something resonated with me.  She kind of changed the way I listened to all music from then on.
Anyway, years later, I did finally understand the words to "Sweet Emotion," and, yes, they were pretty funny.  My initial assumption was that Tyler was writing about a gossiping groupie.  Turns out, he was writing about Perry's wife, Elyssa.  Both he and Perry had been competing for her affections, and the latter won out.  Suddenly, Tyler didn't care for her being around, particularly when she prevented them from writing or doing lots of heroin, so he penned this diatribe against her.  In it, he accuses her of everything from spreading rumors and stealing his booze to humping around (the droll pregnancy-scare reference You can't catch me 'cause the rabbit done died).
The other key element of this song that my mom didn't point out is Tom Hamilton's bassline.  (Could be because the single edit literally chops off the first :30 of the album version, omitting Hamilton's entire intro groove.)  It's easily the funkiest bassline ever in a rock song; it perfectly sets up the lowdown feel of the track and maintains its gritty pulse throughout.
Apparently, Hamilton had come up with the bass riff in high school, but it never really fit anything that Perry and Tyler had written.  So he pretty much kept it under his hat for years.  It was only when the band had extra studio time at the end of the Toys in the Attic sessions, and Douglas asked if anyone had any "spare riffs," that Hamilton finally had his moment in the sun.  Incidentally, "Sweet Emotion" is one of the very few tracks in Aerosmith's (varied) catalog that actually credits Hamilton as a co-writer.





No comments:

Post a Comment