Saturday, March 7, 2015

"I Saw the Light" (Todd Rundgren)

I remember hearing "I Saw the Light" from Todd Rundgren's double album Something/Anything (1972) on the radio as a kid and loving the sound of the song.  It wasn't just the melody (even though it is the perfect R&B-inflected, power pop confection); it was the literal placement and separation of the instruments on the track.  Everything felt like it was in its proper place: the tom-toms in the right channel, the slide guitar in the front-middle, the piano and maracas way over to the left, the bass just left of center, Rundgren's lead vocal dead center, and the backing vocals in perfect stereo.
I knew the terms "arranger" and "producer" from reading the backs of album covers.  So I knew whoever had been at the helm of arranging/producing this track was on their game.
It wasn't until years and an Internet connection later that I discovered Rundgren had done it all himself.  And when I say all, I mean all: writing, arranging, producing, playing every instrument, and singing every vocal—even those high falsetto backing harmonies.  
Somehow, knowing that makes it more than just some catchy pop song to me; it's art.


No comments:

Post a Comment