Monday, October 27, 2014

"Let the Music Play" (Shannon)

I'm not even going to pretend that I'm an expert on "freestyle" dance music.  The Interwebs say it came out of the New York club scene in the early 80s when DJs and producers started combining Latin rhythms with electronic music (think: Kraftwerk) as a sort of successor to disco.  And no one really seems to know/agree upon how it got its name; it might be because vocalists would freestyle rap/sing over the songs' intricate beats, or it might be because b-boys and b-girls were doing freestyle dance routines to the songs.  Who knows.
I do know, the moment I heard Shannon's freestyle anthem "Let the Music Play" (1983) testing the resiliency of the factory-installed subwoofers in my mom's 1971 Oldsmobile sedan, I instantly liked this song.
Lyrically, it's not the deepest.  Actually, the words are slightly dumb in a teenagery kind of way: guy dances with girl, girl is warm for his form, guy goes to dance with someone else, girl feels confused, but then guy dances his way back to her, and "true love" prevails.  Finis.  
It's not Shakespeare, and it doesn't need to be.  Shannon effectively telegraphs its message over one of the tightest grooves of the 80s.  Still today, I can't help but want to pop and lock every time I hear the track's reverb-drenched Roland TR-808 thumping against that perfectly synchronized TB-303 bassline.


No comments:

Post a Comment