Wednesday, June 4, 2014

"Ready or Not" (The Fugees)

The Fugees were the sound of my senior year of high school.  School trips, parties, hanging out, driving around—The Score always was playing in the background.  
Wyclef Jean, Pras Michel, and Lauryn Hill were at the height of their powers back in 1996.  Their unique blend of hip-hop and soul with a touch of the Caribbean had the raw excitement of the early 80s Boogie Down Bronx (think: Funky 4 + 1) but also an immediacy and global-minded relevancy that seemed to point the way for hip-hop into the 21st Century.
"Ready or Not" was the first Fugees song I ever heard.  I was riding in a friend's car, heading somewhere after school.  That creepy Enya sample ("Boadicea") and Hill's blue velvet voice singing the refrain from The Delfonics' "Ready or Not Here I Come" floated through the speakers, and I immediately was hooked.
I still love the track because it has swagger without clichéd hip-hop posturing.  It's smart, fluid, and catchy as hell.  I'm especially still in love with Hill's voice after all these years.




No comments:

Post a Comment