Thursday, January 2, 2014

"Everlong" (Foo Fighters)

If anyone had told me back in 1993 that Dave Grohl was going to be the member of Nirvana to soldier on and carve out a hugely successful career, I would have had my doubts.  I mean, he wasn't exactly front-and-center in Nirvana; Kurt Cobain obviously held the spotlight.  But it was a pleasant surprise when he dropped the punk-pop feeling "I'll Stick Around" and the über-poppy "Big Me" in 1995.  It was kind of revelatory, actually.  I mean, dude could really sing.  He could write.  He could play every instrument.  And he had a sense of humor that was sorely lacking in so many bands of the early 90s.  It was a breath of fresh air.
A couple of years later in 1997, Foo Fighters was an actual band--and not just Grohl doing quadruple duty--when it released The Colour and The Shape, which owed an even heavier debt to classic rock.
I was listening to the radio on my way home from waiting tables one evening, and the song debuted on the local rock station.  (Funny, that may have been the worst job I ever had, but it was a great summer for music!)  The station's signal was starting to fade as I got further from town, but that riff just kept cutting through the static.  Strangely, the chord progression reminded me of Alan Parsons Project's "Eye in the Sky" from 1982.  But "Eye in the Sky" had always sounded so dull and sleepy; it was as if Grohl had taken the same chords and woke them up.
Later when I heard the song again and was able to hear the lyrics, I was really struck by their heartfelt sincerity.  I found out that Grohl had gone through a pretty painful divorce and then fell for someone new after feeling that he would never have such a strong connection with anyone ever again.  The song is about making a new emotional connection and feeling that you're in perfect harmony with them.
This song is one of the big reasons why I was/am still a fan of Grohl and Foo Fighters when few other late-90s bands even registered on my radar.
(Oh, and the video is quirky perfection from moment one, too.)



No comments:

Post a Comment